Welcome to lets choose happiness! Boy, do I know how hard it can be at times to be happy especially when everything around you seems to be crumbling. This world is full of so much negativity these days it can be challenging to be positive. We have to learn how to choose happiness rather than falling into the trap of negativity which then causes us to become depressed, isolated and can only get worse from there if we remain in that state.
This site is here with the intention of helping people feel better about themselves inside and out. I have suffered from low self esteem for most of my life so I do realize that we need to do things on purpose for our mental health.
At times the ones we surround ourselves by are the ones that may cause us to feel the way we do about ourselves but, the thing is we have to learn that nobody deserves that much power over us. We have to do things that are positive for our souls when we reach such a level of low self esteem.
Never believe that you are alone when you are feeling down on yourself, although you will most likely feel alone. Something that can cause people to have low self esteem is when they are comparing themselves to others, comparing others’ successes to what they lack in, this never turns out good when doing so.
How a person feels about themselves is a result of their experiences and how they deal with situations. The most common causes of low self-esteem are:
- unsupportive caregivers in the past or present
- friends who are bad influences
- stressful life events such as divorce or moving houses
- trauma or abuse
- mood disorders such as depression
- bullying or loneliness
- ongoing medical issues
Some Signs of Low Self Esteem
When we suffer from low self esteem we tend to have negative self thoughts about our worth and value as a person and below are more signs:
- avoiding new things and not taking up opportunities
- feeling unloved and unwanted
- blaming others for their own mistakes
- not being able to deal with normal levels of frustration
- negative self-talk and comparisons to others
- fear of failure or embarrassment
- difficulty making friends
- low levels of motivation and interest
- can’t take compliments and shows mixed feelings of anxiety or stress.
I have had all of these and at times some do come back but the important thing now is I become aware when it happens and I do something about it. We have to learn to do things that help us feel better, keep ourselves busy rather than sitting in our minds when we get to this negative place.