Overcoming low self-esteem and low self-worth can be a difficult process but, it is possible to overcome. In this article you will learn How To Improve Self-Esteem and Self-Worth. It will take daily practice to
Overcoming low self-esteem and low self-worth can be a difficult process but, it is possible to overcome. In this article you will learn How To Improve Self-Esteem and Self-Worth. It will take daily practice to boost your self-esteem. If your low self-esteem is causing depression please see your doctor.
What Is Self-Esteem?
Self-esteem is your opinion about yourself. People that have low self-esteem are unhappy or very unsatisfied with themselves most of the time. Overcoming low self-esteem and low self-worth will take a lot of dedication and time.
People that have healthy self-esteem like themselves and are happy with their achievements. Sometimes people don’t understand how others can have low self-esteem but, it’s common for it to stem from a root cause. People that have low self-esteem often have relationship problems. They tend to tolerate unreasonable behavior from their partner because they believe they have to earn love, cannot be loved or they feel they aren’t loveable. Sometimes it can go the opposite way; the person with low self-esteem may be very angry and may be a bully to others.
A person with low self-esteem will usually have a fear of judgement. They may avoid certain activities that involve other people such as sports or any type of social event; they’re afraid of being judged negatively. The person feels constantly judged by others and may always look for any “signs” that people don’t like them.
Another behavior a person may take on if they have low self-esteem is they may become self destructive. They may want to cause self harm by using drugs, drinking alcohol excessively, cutting themselves, or even suicide. If you at any time are worried about your mental health please seek medical help right away.
In order to start overcoming low self-esteem and low self-worth you have to be aware of the characteristics of low self-esteem so you can begin working on building your self esteem.
Characteristics of Low Self-Esteem
Below are just some characteristics of low self-esteem:
- don’t believe a person when they compliment them
- very critical of themselves
- they think they’re inferior to their peers
- always blame themselves when things go wrong
- ignore their positive qualities
- don’t take credit for their achievements
Some causes of low self-esteem and low self-worth may include:
- mental illness such as anxiety or depression
- poor treatment by a parent or a caregiver
- a childhood which involved someone with authority being very critical
- ongoing stressful life events
How To Improve Self-Esteem and Self-Worth
There are several ways to improve your self-esteem. Here are some ways to improve:
- Stop all negative self-talk. Anytime you start to criticize yourself, stop and analyze if there is actual truth to what you are saying about yourself, chances are there isn’t.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. Accept yourself and love yourself for who you are. Everyone is different and we all have different stories.
- Speak to yourself in a positive way. Treat yourself how you would treat your best friend. Many people with low self-esteem tend to treat others better than they treat themselves.
- Stop dwelling in your past. We can’t bring back the past so it’s always better to start living in the moment, forgive yourself and others for what happened in the past.
- Stop worrying all of the time. Worrying is nothing but wasted energy. We can’t control things that are out of our control, keep moving forward and let it go.
- Participate in a fun activity. What types of activities do you enjoy? Anything healthy that you enjoy that helps you feel good inside is something you should be encouraging yourself to do. Exercising is a great example.
- Be more assertive. Start communicating to your loved ones what you want, need, and how you feel. Many times when a person has low self-esteem they feel they can’t express themselves so, they simply won’t.
- Accept compliments. When someone compliments you, don’t brush it off. Know that you are worth it. Smile and say thank-you.
10 Affirmations To Boost Self-Esteem
- I am beautiful
- I am enough
- I am worth it
- I am loved
- I deserve to be happy
- I am an awesome person
- I don’t need validation from others
- I deserve good things
- I am confident and strong
- I love and respect myself